Thursday 5 June 2014

The science behind a glow stick

What I think now (before we start)
I product that the chemicals mix in side the tube to make a reaction.

What I think now (after hearing others’ ideas)
 That when you snap it the chemicals mix together they make it  glow. 

What I think now (after seeing Miss C cut open the tube)
When Miss C broke the tube there was glass inside the tube and was harder to break with out the plastic cover over it.

What I think now (after researching)
The formula to make it glow is  hydrogen peroxide, or H2O2, there is a small glass tube inside it filled with phenyl oxalate esters. when you bend the glow stick the little tube breaks and the two chemiclls mix to create a glow. 

3 questions I still have

Is it safe for little kids?

How can you make different colours?

Hoe long does it last?




Synthesis:

Is when you know nothing at the start and you know heaps at the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment